Healthy teeth can help you smile more, and a beautiful smile is priceless. That’s why when you need to keep your teeth as healthy as possible with Austin preventative dentistry and good oral hygiene. However, knowledge is power. Here are 8 things you didn’t know about your teeth.
- Teeth start to develop in the womb at six weeks: Most people don’t realize that babies already have teeth in their mouth before they show their first baby teeth. You just can’t see these teeth yet since they are underneath the gums. In fact, babies develop teeth at six weeks.
- 1/3 of your tooth is underneath the gums: Even when you have your adult teeth, 1/3 of your tooth is underneath the gums. This is the root of the tooth, and it’s important to its structure. That’s why it’s so important to take care of the gums as well as the teeth. Look for mouthwash specifically designed to support gum health. You should also floss after every meal.
- Your teeth are personalized to you: Everyone knows that fingerprints are unique. However, most people don’t know that their teeth are unique, too. Your teeth have a unique print to them that can help with identification.
- 4. 2/3 of people in America drink water with fluoride in it: Fluoride is a mineral known to help strengthen the teeth. Michigan started putting it in their water about a hundred years ago, and most cities have followed. Ensure your water has fluoride in it.
- Enamel is the hardest material in your body: Many people think a bone is the hardest thing in the body. It’s close, but the enamel that protect your teeth is even stronger. That doesn’t mean it won’t start to break down in time, though.
- Most adults have 32 teeth: The average adult has 32 teeth. Your teeth consists of: 8 incisors, 4 canines, 8 premolars, 12 molars. All teeth have their own functions. Some people do not get the last four molars (also known as wisdom teeth). If you don’t have all of your teeth, look into Austin cosmetic dentistry or Austin Invisalign dentistry.
- Cavities don’t heal: A cavity is essentially a hole in your tooth. It never heals. You need to focus on Austin preventative dentistry to stop cavities from happening in the first place with regular dentist appointments.
- Your mouth is home to 300 types of bacteria: Your mouth is a happening place in your body. Since so many organisms grow in there so quickly, you need to take special care.
If you need Austin cosmetic dentistry or Austin Invisalign dentistry, there is a dentist who can help you achieve your dental goals. Call today
to learn even more about your teeth and keep them looking their best.