5 Effective Dental Health Tips for Kids
Early childhood is the most important time to instill healthy, lifelong habits in children. This includes teaching them the importance of brushing properly and visiting the dentist regularly. Here are a few, effective dental health tips to teach the young members of your family.
- Encourage a Healthy Dental Diet: A lot of parents promote good oral health for their kids but continue to buy sugary foods that cause cavities and gum disease. Promote a healthy diet for the teeth and gums that includes fruits, vegetables and grains instead of sweets and sugary drinks. In fact, soda and juice are popular drinks among children, but they are the worst types of drinks for teeth.
- Buy Flavorful Toothpaste: Toothpaste can be made into a variety of strange flavors. To get kids more interested in brushing, buy a flavorful toothpaste with fun ingredients, such as fruit or chocolate, that are healthy and taste good.
- Go on Family Visits to the Dentist: Schedule family visits to the dentist. A family dentist provides services to every young or old member. The children feel more motivated when everyone goes through an annual cleaning together. They show more interest in getting other types of dental treatments, such as Austin cosmetic dentistry services.
- Brush Together: Have the children stand in front of the mirror and brush their teeth together. It’s a fun group activity that encourages togetherness. When young children see adults doing a task, they tend to copy it and make it a long-term habit. While the family brushes together, also shows kids the importance of using mouthwash. A lot of adults don’t floss or use mouthwash, but they should do it in front of the children just to encourage good dental behaviors.
- Provide Rewards: Provide small rewards for children who keep their mouths clean and healthy. Each year, reward the ones who don’t have any cavities or need any serious type of dental treatment besides cleanings. Avoid giving them sweets foods that could make their dental problems worse.
Another reward is to offer them Austin cosmetic dentistry services. Children will enjoy having whiter teeth that improve their smiles. In addition to whitening, offer them teeth straightening treatments, such as Austin Invisalign.
Children tend to model their behaviors after those of adults. A parent is the child’s first teacher who gives the best advice on any subject. A dentist is the best expert on Austin preventative dentistry, but most kids see one only once a year. There are certain health tips that are easy and necessary to teach kids as they grow older. The Toothbar, based in Austin, TX, is the number one source for Austin preventative dentistry and orthodontics, including Austin Invisalign. Call their office when it’s time for your family’s annual checkups.